Veggie chilli with roasted squash and black beans
- 700g butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 3cm chunks
- 500g celeriac, peeled and cut into 3cm chunks
- 6 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
- Salt and pepper
- 3 chillies of choice finely chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 heaped tsp dried oregano
- 800g soaked black beans
- 2 x 400g tins plum tomatoes
- 1-2 tbsp soft brown sugar, to taste
- 30g dark chocolate (at least 70% solids), grated
Heat the oven to 220C (200C fan)/gas 7. Put the squash and celeriac on a baking tray, drizzle over half the oil and season generously. Toss everything together with your hands, spread out and roast for 30-35 minutes, until the veg is tender, and crisp and golden around the edges.
Pour the remaining oil into a large saucepan, add the onions and sweat over a medium heat for 10 minutes, until they begin to soften. Season generously, add the garlic and cook for another five to seven minutes.
Add the chillies to the onions, along with the spices and oregano. Fry for a minute, then add the beans, tomatoes, sugar and chocolate. Fill the tomato tin with hot water and add to the pan.
Bring to a boil, then simmer for 60 minutes until reduced. Stir in the roast vegetables and simmer for another 15 minutes.