Onion bhaji recipe
- 100g Gram flour
- 1 tsp Mild curry powder
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Chilli flakes (more if you like them hotter1)
- ½ tsp Turmeric (good for a golden batter)
- ½ tsp Ground coriander
- ½ tsp Cumin
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 100ml Water
- 2 onions thinly sliced
- Vegetable oil to fry
- Thinly slice the onions and place in cold water while you do the rest
- Sift the flour and baking powder
- Mix all the dry ingredients together
- Add the water, try around 80ml to begin with then add a little more at a time, you are aiming for a thick batter
- Once mixed leave it to stand in the fridge for around 15mins then add in the drained onions and mix well
- If you don’t have a deep fat fryer just test with a small amount of batter in a deep pot or wok. In your pot aim for 5cm of vegetable oil, do not fill the pot more than ¾ full of oil.
If not hot enough they will be very oily, if to hot they will cook too quickly on the outside with a raw batter on the inside. Around 170 -180c pretty good.
- Once golden drain on some kitchen paper
- A quick chilli dip I have also made - tomato sauce mixed with a little water, thinly diced onion & Tabasco.